Legend of the 5 Rings Smoking Waters
I am a big fan of rewarding character development and campaign improvements with bonus XP. Here are a few examples if ways to earn extra XP for your characters. Bonus points earned for posting characters and such before play begins may be added to the 40 points used during character creation.
- Create your character on the Obsidian Portal page. Include the character’s name, a brief description (including any obvious Advantages or Disadvantages, in general terms), and a picture. One of the greatest things about L5R being tied to a successful CCG is the vast amount of excellent artwork, both professional and fan, that is easily available. Please include a list of all Advantages and Disadvantages, real name, school and family in the GM Only area. 2 XP per player character.
- Answer Twenty Questions (summarized here for your convenience) in the GM Only area. 2 XP per player character.
- Create a physical representation of a character, either yours or a major NPC. There are several sites and apps to create custom Magic cards which would be ideal for this purpose. Include artwork, name, clan, and any other pertinent information (briefly, please). 1 XP per item
- If an Adventure Log entry is created at least 24 hours before the next game, each player gains 1 bonus XP. This entry should touch on the major events of the prior session, including important NPCs the players encountered, the results of any conflicts, and any important discoveries. Otherwise, they may be a simple summary, a first-person account, a letter to a relative, or whatever other form strikes the author’s fancy.
- Creating materials for use at the table to ease or enhance play will earn a variable amount of XP. Examples include table tents with artwork and names; cheat sheets or rules summaries; sets of table tents of the different combat Stances; props or costume items; maps, etc.
- Writing a short story or other fiction that reveals something about a PCs background, motivations, etc. 5 XP per character
- Providing setting-appropriate food or drink, preferably homemade. Japanese, Korean, Mongolian and Chinese food would be most appropriate. Pickled vegetables for nibbling or a brief tea ceremony would be appropriate. 3 XP
- Providing setting-appropriate music. 1 XP
I am more than happy to entertain more ideas for enriching the gameplay experience, and rewarding them appropriately.